NS - Bolin Creek Bridge
Timber trestle bridge over Bolin Creek at the Chapel Hill-Carrboro border. Bridge is part of the old University Railroad serving UNC and running from University Station to the University - about a nine mile run. The rail line was completed in 1882 and acquired by Southern Railroad a couple of decades later. Date of this bridge unknown.
Rail line initially installed to carry students to and from the university. Now it only carries coal to the power plant at the university. Some history here: freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~orangecountync/places/fcoms/UniversityStation/usta.html
Access: Bridge is on private property (railroad). The right-of-way is broad with walking trails on either side of the rails. Its about 1/2 mile from Estes Drive Extension in Carrboro. The only traffic this line sees is a short, slow moving coal train, so walking along the right-of-way is relatively safe. The entire south side of the right of way up to and beyond the bridge is public park with numerous trails - these are the preferred access.
- Timber stringer bridge over Bolin Creek on NS Coal train line to Chapel Hill
- Carrboro, Orange County, North Carolina
- Open to traffic
- - Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- State University Railroad (SUR)
- Timber stringers on top of concrete pile caps and timber piles/trestles. 18 concrete footers each about 12 feet apart.
Length of largest span: 240.0 ft.
Total length: 220.0 ft.
- Also called
- SUR - Bolin Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.92435, -79.07293 (decimal degrees)
35°55'28" N, 79°04'23" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/673857/3977273 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Chapel Hill
- Inventory numer
- BH 70605 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 19, 2016: Added by madurobob