NS - Old NC10 Overpass
Bridge over Old NC 10 for the University Railroad serving UNC and running from University Station (a few hundred yards north of this bridge) to the University about 9 miles South. Rail line was completed in 1882 and acquired by Southern Railroad a couple of decades later.
Rail line initially installed to carry students to and from the university. Now it only carries coal to the power plant at the university. Some history here: http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~orangecounty...
- Steel stringer bridge over SR 1710, old NC 10 on University Railroad, Southern Railroad
- Orange County, North Carolina
- Used to carry coal to Chapel Hill
- Line was completed in 1882. Bridge construction date unknown
- - Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- State University Railroad (SUR)
- Large wooden trestles support four large steel I beams that carry the ties and track. See pics
Length of largest span: 30.0 ft.
Total length: 75.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +36.03300, -79.03381 (decimal degrees)
36°01'59" N, 79°02'02" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/677145/3989397 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 70590 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- January 18, 2016: Added by madurobob