Looking east toward NC 28. Photo taken October 21, 2006.
Photo taken by James Legg in October 2006
BH Photo #156905
This bridge looks to have an older truss span than the rest of the bridge.
- Through truss bridge over Little Tennessee River on NC 1456
- Macon County, North Carolina
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- In Dec. 2012, the Macon County Commission voted to assume ownership of the bridge from the state, and maintain it as a pedestrian-only bridge, according to the Smoky Mountain News. The state DOT will build a wider bridge for vehicle traffic downstream. The state will maintain ownership of the McCoy Bridge for eight years after the new bridge is built, then transfer McCoy Bridge to the county.
- Built ca. 1915, truss span possibly relocated here in the 1940s and rehabilitated in 1960.
- Pin-connected Pratt through truss bridge makes up the main span of the bridge. Two stringer spans are also on the bridge: one on each side of the truss span.
Length of largest span: 119.1 ft.
Total length: 279.9 ft.
Deck width: 10.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.0 ft.
- Also called
- Little Tennessee River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.27210, -83.44047 (decimal degrees)
35°16'20" N, 83°26'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/278020/3905949 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- Inventory numbers
- NC 1130172 (North Carolina bridge number)
BH 23289 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 19.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 6, 2018: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- August 19, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- December 20, 2012: Updated by Andy Peters: Bridge to be converted to pedestrian-only.
- March 11, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated bridge information.
- March 4, 2010: Updated by James Legg: Added photos and detail to the description. Also added street name.