Once one of the North Carolina Highway Commission's crown jewels, bridge deterioration is now rampant. Crumbling concrete is leaving gaping holes in subsubstructure. Rebar is visible. Stalactites in various stages are forming on concrete that is sun-shaded. Acid residue from concrete is dripping onto trees and vegetation below.
- Open spandrel reinforced concrete arch bridge over Green River on Old US 176
- Henderson County, North Carolina
- Bridge is deteriorating rapidly
- Future prospects
- Left as a historic ruin when new steel stringer, 4 span- girder bridge nearby replaced it in 2001
- Built 1927. Called High Bridge because of deck height 132.4 feet above river.
- - E.A. Wood & Co. of Andrews, North Carolina
- F.W. Hunter, designing engineer
- North Carolina State Highway Commission
- 3 Open-spandrel reinforced concrete arches (main span 185 feet long, two flanked shorter arches 110 feet long each with ribbed underpinning), 3 tee-beam approach spans on north end, one tee-beam on south end, each 40 feet long.
Length of largest span: 185.0 ft.
Total length: 580.1 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
- Also called
- Green River Bridge
Henderson County Bridge 120
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.23532, -82.39528 (decimal degrees)
35°14'07" N, 82°23'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/373039/3900031 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 1942 ft. above sea level
- Average daily traffic (as of 1998)
- Inventory numbers
- NC 890120 (North Carolina bridge number)
BH 52792 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2010)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 13, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- September 17, 2017: New photo from Andrew Penik
- April 3, 2017: New photos from Michael Miller
- March 15, 2017: New photo from Andrew Penik
- September 24, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- September 18, 2016: Updated by Calvin Sneed: Updated historical information and pictures
- August 15, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternative Names" & changed "Status"
- July 1, 2012: Added by Luke Harden