BH Photo #243226
"The Donnaha Bridge, a metal truss bridge, now located on a piece of property off Shattalon Drive and Petree Road, was built in 1910 by W. A. Martin, an East Bend merchant. It was originally part of a larger bridge on NC 67 that spanned the Yadkin River between Yadkin and Forsyth Counties; it was the first bridge to cross the Yadkin River between the two counties. Around 1950, the state put in a new bridge, and moved this part of the old one to Wilson Creek on State Route 1938 in Caldwell County. In 1979, the North Carolina Department of Transportation Historic Bridge Preservation Program identified the Donnaha Bridge as one of 34 bridges eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1995, the state delivered the disassembled bridge to James R. Flynt, Jr. to use in front of his house on Shattalon Drive. The bridge spans 132 feet and weighs 40,000 pounds. Taking four years of planning to get the bridge ready for installation, it took only two weeks for Mr. Flynt and a couple of assistants to assemble."