Photo taken by Nathan Culpepper
BH Photo #107984
Lamb-Fish Bridge NRHP Nomination Form
PDF (3.1 MB)
Provided by the government of Mississippi; Posted by Luke
The Lamb-Fish Bridge, built in 1905 by the American Bridge Company of New York and is associated with the once prosperous Lamb-Fish Lumber Company of Charleston,MS. In 1932, a fire swept through the plant. With the loss of the lumber company, the railroad was no longer needed, and the bridge was abandoned. In the 1950s, the span was lowered, railroad ties were removed, and the structure was converted to a one-lane car and truck bridge.
- Vertical lift bridge over the Tallahatchie River on Levee Road
- Tallahatchie County, Mississippi
- Open to traffic
- Built 1905 by the American Bridge Co.
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- Lamb-Fish Lumber Co. of Charleston, Mississippi
- Waddell & Harrington of Kansas City, Missouri
- - Yazoo & Mississippi Valley Railroad (Y&MV)
- Vertical lift Deck plate girder
Length of largest span: 80.0 ft.
Total length: 828.8 ft.
Deck width: 15.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 75.4 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 17, 1982
- Also called
- Y&MV - Lamb-Fish Spur Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +34.02253, -90.19225 (decimal degrees)
34°01'21" N, 90°11'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/759260/3768209 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Fishhook Lake
- Land survey
- T. 25 N., R. 1 E., Sec. 21
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 82004631 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 22936 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 22.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 25, 2018: Updated by Luke: Added railroad from NRHP nomination form; Added said form to documents section; Corrected river back to Tallahatchie per USGS maps from 1935 via Historicaerials
- January 25, 2018: New photos from Douglas Butler
- March 18, 2017: New photos from Paul Clarke
- August 5, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- February 24, 2009: Updated by C Hanchey
- December 18, 2006: Posted photos from Nathan Culpepper