Old US 11 Pearl River Bridge
Pearl River Bridge
Pearl River Bridge in 1930, from State Library of Louisiana
Photo Taken in 1930, State Library of Louisiana
View this photo at state.lib.la.us
BH Photo #255097
Constructed for about $26,000 beginning in March 1925 and completed by December. Opened to traffic on June 23, 1926 when the road across the Honey Island Swamp was completed and a temporary ferry across the West Pearl River (pending completion of the bridge) was established.
This bridge carried the original routing of US 90 before it was relocated to the current alignment via Pearlington, MS in 1937. The old route was then assumed by US 11. The bridge was bypassed for through traffic when the more direct I-59 was completed through the area in 1964 (co-signed as US 11). [Source for most of the above info is the "U.S. Route 11 in Louisiana" article on Wikipedia.]
The old US 11 bridge was closed to traffic after 1972 and existed in an abandoned state until its removal in late 1977. The approach road on the Louisiana side is now an access road for the Pearl River Wildlife Management Area, while the Mississippi side is largely closed and abandoned.
- Lost Bridge over (East) Pearl River on Old US 11 (originally US 90)
- Hancock County, Mississippi, and St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana
- Removed but not replaced
- Built 1925; closed to traffic 1970s; removed 1977
- - Vincennes Bridge Co. of Vincennes, Indiana
Total length: 254.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +30.40302, -89.68163 (decimal degrees)
30°24'11" N, 89°40'54" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/242367/3366496 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 44098 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 5, 2020: Updated by Roger Collins: Added builder, adjusted completion year, and added paragraph to description block.
- March 3, 2020: Updated by Roger Collins: Bridge was removed in 1977.
- April 27, 2017: Updated by Roger Collins: Added opening date and added to description.
- March 28, 2016: Updated by Jared Rainer: Updated with more specific dates.
- May 31, 2013: New photos from M. D. Caillet
- February 12, 2010: Added by Jared Rainer
- Jared Rainer - chumrain [at] bayspringstel [dot] net