Wabash - Cowmire Creek Bridge
Photo taken by James Baughn in March 2019
BH Photo #444978
Construction started in 1854 on the North Missouri Railroad. On August 2, 1855, the first 19 mile stretch was completed from St. Louis to a ferry landing opposite St. Charles. The railroad was soon extended to the northwest from St. Charles.
It's likely that this bridge was original to the 1855 railroad. At present, this is the oldest known bridge in Missouri.
By the 1920s, this rail line (now part of the Wabash system) had been realigned to the south, leaving this bridge abandoned. It remains in excellent condition, despite being overgrown, thanks to the high-quality stonework.
Modern plat maps show that the northern half (or so) of the bridge is owned by the city of Bridgeton as part of the right-of-way for Taussig Road. The southern half is privately owned.
- Abandoned stone arch bridge over Cowmire Creek on North Missouri Railroad (later Wabash Railroad)
- Bridgeton, St. Louis County, Missouri
- Abandoned and overgrown
- Built 1855
- - Wabash Railroad (WAB)
- 16' wide (14' tall) stone arch culvert made of sandstone w/cypress flooring
Total length: 16.0 ft.
- Also called
- Cowmire Creek bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.77924, -90.41992 (decimal degrees)
38°46'45" N, 90°25'12" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/724122/4295440 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Saint Charles
- Inventory number
- BH 64850 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 11, 2019: Updated by James Baughn: Reports of this bridge's demise have been greatly exaggerated
- March 26, 2019: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Bridge reported as demolished
- March 24, 2019: New Street View added by Jeff Wieland
- March 24, 2019: New photos from James Baughn
- June 22, 2016: Updated by John Marvig: Added information, Bridge DOES exist
- December 19, 2014: Added by James Holzmeier