Steel's Fish Trap Bridge
This bridge is a nationally significant historic bridge not only as a rare example of a bowstring truss, but of one built by a company which has very few surviving bowstrings anywhere in the country.
EDIT by KAB; 6-28-16 Updated name based on Missouri Bridge Inventory list & Number. It figures that this bridge would deservedly have an equally interesting name!
- Bowstring through truss bridge over Salt Fork on CR 225
- Saline County, Missouri
- Closed to all traffic. Future uncertain.
- Future prospects
- Future uncertain. May be at risk for demolition. County wants to "...squeeze that liability out as quick as we can."
- Built 1882 by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co., using stone abutments from an earlier 1875 bridge
- - Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co. of Leavenworth, Kansas
- Bowstring through truss
Span length: 100.0 ft.
Total length: 100.0 ft.
Deck width: 14.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 12.6 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Salt Fork Bowstring Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.02607, -93.06142 (decimal degrees)
39°01'34" N, 93°03'41" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/494683/4319671 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 49 N., R. 20 W., Sec. 13
- Inventory numbers
- MO 097-351000.5 (Missouri off-system bridge number)
MONBI 22330 (Missouri bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 22487 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 03/2010)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 15.4 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- June 28, 2016: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: Update name based on Missouri Bridge Inventory list & Number. It figures that this bridge would have an equally interesting name!
- November 14, 2015: New photos from K. Allen Ballard
- March 15, 2012: Updated by Nathan Holth: This nationally significant historic bridge is closed and may be doomed.
- April 4, 2007: Posted new photos