Bear Creek Covered Bridge 25-87-02x
Bear Creek Covered Bridge Hannibal New London Toll Road
Although this bridge was reportedly built by James Key in 1859, it is listed among the assets of the New London Plank Road (Toll Road) Company in a 1855 newspaper report and is described as completed and roofed over in a January 1853 (Hannibal Journal) description of the first five miles of the toll road. The stone abutments and burr-arch design are typical features of the bridges of Joseph C. Elliott of Payson Illinois, who built of number of similar covered bridges in NE Missouri, including the Union covered bridge which survives. This photo predates a 1928 storm that blew the roof and siding off.
Photo provided by Rusty Weisman courtsey of George Pollard
View this photo at george-1.smugmug.com
BH Photo #249306
A January 20 1853 reprint in the Glasgow Weekly Times (Glasgow Mo) newspaper of a recent story from the Hannibal Journal newspaper described a drive over the recently completed northernmost part of the Hannibal and New London Plank Road - extending from Hannibal 5 miles south. That article noted that:
"The bridge over Bear Creek is finished and roofed over. It is a handsome structure, and looks strong enough to last fifty years"
The Bear Creek covered bridge was located about 2000' NE of the US Route 61 bridge that was built in 1931 on new alignment to replaced it.
- Lost covered bridge over Bear Creek on the Hannibal - New London Toll Road
- Hannibal, Ralls County, Missouri
- No longer standing
- Built 1853; replaced 1931
- - Hannibal & New London Plank Road & Bridge Co.
- Burr arch-truss
Total length: 0.8 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.68139, -91.40459 (decimal degrees)
39°40'53" N, 91°24'17" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/636818/4393611 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Hannibal West
- Land survey
- T 56 N R 5 W, NE 1/4 of SW 1/4, NE 1/4, Sec 1,
- 515 ft. above sea level
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 25-87-02X (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 21989 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 4, 2018: New photo from Rusty Weisman
- May 11, 2018: New photo from Rusty Weisman
- May 10, 2018: New photo from Rusty Weisman
- April 26, 2014: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: Added photo; and photo caption detail.
- February 19, 2013: Updated by Rusty Weisman: Added category "Red Ball Route"
- Rusty Weisman
- K. Allen Ballard - speedeeprint [at] gmail [dot] com