Restored and decorated for Christmas:
GROUNDBREAKING CEREMONY AT THE HISTORIC ROUTE 66 BRIDGE OVER BIG PINEY RIVER IN DEVIL’S ELBOW
After many years of planning and searching for funds, the Pulaski County Commission has entered into a contract with a contracting firm to renovate this 90 year old structure for the future use by of area residents and numerous Route 66 visitors from various foreign countries.
Participating funding agencies are Federal Highway Administration, Missouri Department of Transportation, National Park Service, Department of Housing and Urban Development, United States Department of Agriculture and Pulaski County Commission.
On Thursday, October 24 at 11:30 AM, the Pulaski County Commission will conduct an official groundbreaking ceremony to signal the start of construction activity which is expected to take about 10 months to complete.
You are invited to attend this historic event and meet some of the participants that have worked together to renovate the only curved bridge still in use by vehicles traveling on Historic Route 66.
Gary J. Bockman, PE, PLS
2826 S. Ingram Mill Rd.
Springfield, MO 65804
Phone: (417) 886-7171
Fax: (417) 886-7591
Cell: (417) 860-9263
Rehab is announced & Bridgehunter.com gets a nod
By Matthew Kent
Waynesville Daily Guide
Fri Aug 21, 2009, 02:41 PM CDT
WAYNESVILLE — Pulaski County Commissioners learned Thursday that the county won't be receiving grant funding for the Devils Elbow Bridge.
Jack Kearbey, area specialist with the USDA Rural Development, informed the commission it didn't make the cut. Grant funding would have paid for engineering fees toward the bridge, according to Eastern District Commissioner Bill Farnham. Farnham said the next period for re-applying for the grant would be in October and said it was “disheartening” that no grant funding was received.
The bridge, which has been listed in poor condition by the Missouri Department of Transportation for at least two consecutive years, has been looked at by the County Commission, but a cost of $1.6 million has been cited to correct the deficiencies at the aging bridge. It was built in 1923 and was declared obsolete in 1942 when a new one was built.
In April, the Commission approved a contract with Springfield-based Great River Engineering for pre-engineering work on the bridge for $99,938. That was 75 percent covered through a grant with the USDA, while the other 25 percent was covered by the Off-System Bridge Replacement and Rehabilitation (BRO) program, which provides funding for counties through MoDOT for the replacement and rehabilitation of deficient bridges.
It is still open. I drive across it once a week or more and have floated under it twice this past week.
It should be still open. It is a tourist attraction on old Route 66. Why? Have you heard differently?
Does anybody know if this bridge is still open?
This bridge is located in an extremely beautiful location yet poor maintenance has let it deteriorate to a point where I don't know if they will end up having to tear this down. I wouldn't be surprised if this one ends up collapsing someday as a truck drives across. You really start to wonder about the the structural integrity if you go underneath and look around. See http://www.rollanet.org/~conorw/cwome/article51&52combined.h... for more information on the condition of this bridge.