StL&H - Frankford Stone Arch
Photo taken by Harry O'Toole in January 2004
BH Photo #122790
Originally this was a wooden trestle bridge and the StL&HRR filled in around it. 3 German stonemasons, Cornelius Foutes & his two sons built the arch structure. It is said they spoke a secret 'tongue' or dialect of their own.
- Stone arch bridge over Peno Creek on abandoned St. Louis & Hannibal Railroad in Frankford
- Frankford, Pike County, Missouri
- Open to pedestrians only by walkway (old right of way) above
- Built 1890
- - Cornelius Foutes
- - St. Louis & Hannibal Railroad (StL&H)
- Stone arch
Span length: 25.0 ft.
Total length: 25.0 ft.
Deck width: 23.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.49450, -91.31778 (decimal degrees)
39°29'40" N, 91°19'04" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/644169/4373236 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 55 N., R. 4 W., Sec. 35
- 560 ft. above sea level
- Inventory numbers
- MO 082-151000.1 (Missouri off-system bridge number)
BH 37331 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 12/1990)
- Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 32.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1990)
- June 29, 2016: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: Updated description.
- June 28, 2016: New photos from John Marvig
- June 24, 2016: Updated by John Marvig: Added information
- January 1, 2016: New photos from K. Allen Ballard
- December 31, 2015: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: Update history and construction info. More later.....
- October 18, 2010: Updated by Jamie Forbes: 1) Added elevation from GPS (base) 536' at base, 2) Added city: Frankford
- April 16, 2009: New photo from Nathan Morton
- August 28, 2008: New photos from Harry O'Toole
- Nathan Morton - morton890 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Missouri Historic Bridge Inventory
- Jamie Forbes - jwforbes87 [at] gmail [dot] com
- K. Allen Ballard - speedeeprint [at] gmail [dot] com
- John Marvig - marvigj27 [at] gmail [dot] com