RI - Argyle Tunnel
Photo taken March 2007 by Nathan Morton
BH Photo #106622
This was the second of four tunnels along The Chicago Rock Island & Pacific Railroad's St. Louis mainline. Located approximately 128 miles west of St. Louis, it is the only of its relatives to feature an unfinished, bare-rock interior beyond its concrete portals. The western half of the bore is curved, obscuring through sight from one end to the other. In 2003, 'tell-tales' still hung near the eastern portal, which once warned trains of the limited hight clearance inside the tunnel.
The relief casting above the portal opening reads: "Tunnel No. 2 1903"
- Tunnel on the Rock Island Railroad under a hill and CR 541 between Meta and Koeltztown
- Osage County, Missouri
- Railroad line inactive since 1979
- Future prospects
- Ameren had donated the railroad to the State of Missouri for use as a "Rail to Trail" project. Work is currently underway to remove the overgrowth and rails.
- Built 1903
- - Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad (CRIP (1866-1920); RI (1920-1975) ROCK (1975-1980))
- St. Louis, Kansas City & Colorado Railway (StLKC&C)
Total length: 1,223.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.31380, -92.08081 (decimal degrees)
38°18'50" N, 92°04'51" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/580358/4241032 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 22243 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 27, 2018: Updated by John Marvig: Added category "Bore Tunnel"
- April 20, 2016: Updated by Kelly McClanahan: Added category "Rock Island Rail Trail"
- December 17, 2015: Updated by Chris Perry: Tunnel is to be utilized in a "rail trail"
- February 27, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Name change
- November 21, 2012: Updated by Brian Parkinson: Description added.
- April 23, 2008: Updated by Max Johnson
- April 4, 2007: Posted photos from Nathan Morton
- Nathan Morton - morton890 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Brian Parkinson - railstoruin [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Chris Perry