RI - Gasconade River Bridge
Photo taken by Jim Ridge
BH Photo #106610
The Chicago Rock Island & Pacific Railroad completed construction on this massive bridge in 1903. Officially the largest railroad bridge in the state of Missouri, it exceeds 1800 feet in length and sails 110 feet above the Gasconade River and valley. Rail traffic was heaviest during World War II, when an armed guard kept watch from a small shack at the bridge's western end. After this period, the frequency of trains slowly diminished until the railroad's poor financial state caused the end of regular service in August of 1979. The final train is said to have crossed in December of that year. The bridge's official number was 1146.
- Pratt deck truss over Gasconade River on the Rock Island Railroad between Freeburg and Belle
- Osage County, Missouri
- Railroad line currently inactive
- Future prospects
- Ameren has donated the railroad to the State of Missouri for use as a "Rail to Trail" project. Work is underway to clear brush and remove the rails.
- Built 1902 by A.J. Tullock; out of service since 1980.
- - A.J. Tullock of Leavenworth, Kansas
- American Bridge Co. of New York
- - Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad (RI; CRIP; ROCK)
- Southern Pacific Railroad (SP)
- St. Louis Southwestern Railway (SSW)
- St. Louis, Kansas City & Colorado Railway (StLKC&C)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
- 2 - 62.5' Deck Plate Girder
1 - 249' Pratt Deck Truss
2 - 130.7' Pratt Deck Truss
12 - 30' Deck Plate Girder
13 - 60' Deck Plate Girder
Length of largest span: 249.0 ft.
Total length: 1,774.4 ft.
- Also called
- "Gascondy Bridge"
Rock Island Bridge #1146
Rock Island Gasconade River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.29994, -91.86553 (decimal degrees)
38°17'60" N, 91°51'56" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/599198/4239703 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 22242 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 7, 2017: New video from Clark Vance
- February 13, 2017: New photos from Steve Jett
- September 11, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- September 11, 2016: New photo from Dave King
- December 17, 2015: Updated by Chris Perry: Updated Status
- December 1, 2014: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "American Bridge Co."
- April 11, 2014: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "American Bridge Co."
- December 28, 2013: Updated by Dylan VanAntwerp: Added categories "Southern Pacific Railroad", "St. Louis Southwestern Railway", "Union Pacific Railroad"
- November 2, 2013: Updated by Joe Leets: Added new photo
- April 12, 2013: New photo from mark Botkin
- November 21, 2012: Updated by Brian Parkinson: Discription added. History added.
- December 24, 2010: Updated by Brian Parkinson: Description updated, Date corrected
- April 23, 2008: Updated by Max Johnson: Fixed name from "Gascondy" to "Gasconade"
- July 3, 2006: Posted additional photo from Nathan Morton
- Jim Ridge
- Nathan Morton - morton890 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Brian Parkinson - railstoruin [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Dylan VanAntwerp - dylan_vanantwerp [at] live [dot] com
- Chris Perry
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Clark Vance - cvance [at] dogmail [dot] com