Thunder Ave Bridge / Knox CR 389
South Fabius River CR 389 Bridge
View to the southwest
Photo taken by Chris Gonnerman in August 2011
BH Photo #207962
Road is now named Thunder Avenue although it is a bit rough and low traveled. But it's worth your drive. Nice access to the river, you can fish or wade around in the solid rock bottom or take photos of the bridge as I did.
UPDATE, Lost to June 2015 Flooding on South Fabius River. Wreckage remains are on north side of CR389. Is easily accessed from north side but the road is rough coming from that direction; The drive from the south is shorter but to access the north bank it requires climbing down a steep bank downstream from original approach. The river is very shallow downstream, bring your boots.
- Pony truss bridge over South Fabius River on CR 389
- west of Newark, Knox County, Missouri
- Lost to the South Fabius Flooding at the end of June 2015.
- Future prospects
- Lost to severe flood; now there's one less pony in Knox County in 2015. So thankful I took an hour on Easter, April Sunday afternoon to photograph. More pics to follow of remains.
- Built 1922; Lost to flooding late June 2015
- - Unknown
- Pin-connected, 5-panel Pratt pony truss, wood deck
Length of largest span: 70.8 ft.
Total length: 75.1 ft.
Deck width: 11.8 ft.
- Also called
- South Fabius CR389
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.00333, -92.01333 (decimal degrees)
40°00'12" N, 92°00'48" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/584218/4428593 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Edina SE
- Land survey
- T. 60 N., R. 10 W., Sec. 16
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- MO 052-389000.7 (Missouri off-system bridge number)
MONBI 23092 (Missouri bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 21815 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 18 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- September 26, 2016: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: New Photos of bridge wreckage. more to come.....
- November 20, 2015: New photos from K. Allen Ballard
- August 20, 2015: New photo from Chris Gonnerman
- July 16, 2015: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: Update Status as Lost To Flooding.
- May 6, 2015: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: Road name change; additional description info.
- August 7, 2011: Updated by Chris Gonnerman: Oops, I marked the wrong bridge as replaced. This bridge is still present and in service.
- July 12, 2011: Updated by Chris Gonnerman: Bridge has been replaced.