Rock Island Trail - Chipman Road Tunnel
Photo taken by Clark Vance
BH Photo #200541
Originally built to pass a horse drawn wagon, development in this area requires a wider, straighter road. This bridge is almost certain to be replaced now that it is no longer likely to be used again for a railroad.
- Concrete culvert carrying Chipman Road under Rock Island Trail (former CRI&P)
- Lee's Summit, Jackson County, Missouri
- Open to pedestrians
- Future prospects
- Open as rail-to-trail
- Built 1903 by CRI&P Mo. Division, converted to trail use 2019
- - Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad (CRIP (1866-1920); RI (1920-1975) ROCK (1975-1980))
- Since this was built over a road with fill to raise the rail bed, this is actually a culvert rather than tunnel but that's the local name.
Span length: 15.0 ft.
Total length: 15.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 11.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- RI - Chipman Road Tunnel
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.92739, -94.43769 (decimal degrees)
38°55'39" N, 94°26'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/375378/4309701 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Lees Summit
- Land survey
- T. 47 N., R. 32 W., Sec. 3
- 810 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 48880 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 12, 2016: New photos from John Marvig
- August 19, 2016: Updated by Kelly McClanahan: Added category "MO Rock Island Rail Trail"
- November 29, 2013: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "Stoplight Controlled"
- August 27, 2012: New photo from Clark Vance
- August 10, 2012: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "Railroad"
- August 1, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Removed category "Rail-to-trail"
- August 1, 2012: Updated by Max Johnson: Updated "status" and "future prospects"
- March 26, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Rail-to-trail"
- March 23, 2012: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad"
- March 22, 2012: New Street View added by Clark Vance
- June 8, 2011: Added by Clark Vance
- Clark Vance - cvance [at] dogmail [dot] com
- John Marvig - marvigj27 [at] gmail [dot] com