View looking south
Signs indicate Kansas City Southern ownership.
Photo taken by Clark Vance July 2010
BH Photo #170128
The Air Line opened between Jan 1891 and Mar 1892. It was built by the man who later founded the Kansas City Southern RR, Arthur Stillwell. http://www.arthurstilwell.com/timeline.html
Based on the design of the built-up beams, the existing bridge appears to be mid-20th Century.
Looking at the Independence quad topo map, this might be the crossing for the "Air Line" that ran from downtown Kansas City, near 2nd and Wyandotte, out to Fairmount Park in Independence. Just NW of the bridge there is a label of "Air Line Junction". Few traces of the line are still there but the grade can be seen running along the dam of the lake NW of the intersection of Truman Road and Sterling. The line was a light duty car line that ended a few blocks east of Fairmount Park at what is now a city maintenance facility at Truman Road and Forest. The Kansas City Southern owned the RoW as of the mid '60s when the current topo was drawn up. Info on Fairmount Park and the Air Line here: http://www.oldfairmountpark.com/1893.html
If this is the old Air Line bridge, a lot of people rode across it 100 years ago.