Rating:
2 votes

CMR - Labadie Viaduct

Photos 

South side

Photo taken February 2006 by Kevin Ferguson

BH Photo #105287

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This bridge crosses Labadie Creek and Labadie Bottom Road, aka Front St, which was originally the location of the Missouri Pacific Railroad's mainline. The MoPac route was rebuilt and relocated in 1929.

Facts 

Overview
Warren through truss bridge over Labadie Bottom Road/Labadie Creek on the Central Midland Railway
Location
Labadie, Franklin County, Missouri
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built 1902
Builder
- American Bridge Co. of New York
Railroads
- Central Midland Railway (CMR)
- Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad (RI; CRIP; ROCK)
- Missouri Central Railroad (MOC)
- Southern Pacific Railroad (SP)
- St. Louis Southwestern Railway (SSW)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
Design
1 Sp. 58' DPG
1 Sp. 74' DPG
1 Sp. 166' Riveted Warren through truss
1 Sp. 60' DPG
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 166.0 ft.
Total length: 358.0 ft.
Also called
RI - Labadie MoPac Bridge
RI - Br. #455
RI - Labadie Viaduct
SSW - Labadie Viaduct
SP - Labadie Viaduct
Approximate latitude, longitude
+38.53106, -90.84663   (decimal degrees)
38°31'52" N, 90°50'48" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/687698/4266937 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Labadie
Inventory numbers
CRIP Bridge 455
BH 21496 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • November 13, 2016: Updated by Dylan VanAntwerp: Added categories "Missouri Central Railroad", "St. Louis Southwestern Railway", "Southern Pacific Railroad", "Union Pacific Railroad"
  • June 28, 2016: New photos from John Marvig
  • June 22, 2016: Updated by John Marvig: Added information
  • May 13, 2009: New photos from Joe Virruso
  • April 25, 2008: Updated by Max Johnson
  • February 13, 2006: Posted photo from Kevin Ferguson

Sources 

  • Kevin Ferguson - fergusk2 [at] slu [dot] edu
  • Joe Virruso - virrusofamily [at] att [dot] net
  • John Marvig - marvigj27 [at] gmail [dot] com

Comments 

Labadie Viaduct
Posted November 25, 2009, by Brian Daniel (railstoruin [at] yahoo [dot] com)

The truss span was built to cross Labadie Creek, as well as the tracks of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, whose original right-of-way passed through Labadie and beneath the bridge. The approach spans are of concrete and steel, which replaced the original wood trestle approaches in 1910. The bridge was on the Rock Island Railroad's 19th subdivision, and was numbered 455. From 1999 to present (2009), The bridge is owned by the Missouri Central Railroad, and is now operated as the Central Midland Railway. Trains still cross the bridge four times weekly, however the rails beneath are long gone. The Missouri Pacific Railroad upgraded and rebuilt its mainline to two tracks in 1929 and relocated its alignment, bypassing the area through a tunnel one mile south of town. The original grade is now Front Street.

Hope this helps!

Labadie Viaduct
Posted April 14, 2009, by jack (jackkav [at] sbcglobal [dot] net)

now UP rr right?