Rating:
2 votes

Glennonville Bridge

Photos 

Main span

Photo taken by James Baughn

Request this photo

BH Photo #105225

Map 

Street View 

Diagram 

Description 

The first highway bridge built at this location was G-433 it replaced a ferry known as Dekins or Deken's Ferry and it was known as the Deken's Ferry bridge. In January 1923 Butler County appropriated $23,238.45 for their share of cost that bridge. Dunlin County was expected to appropriate a similar amount (Republican Tribune Fri. Jan 5 1923 pg 3). The main span of bridge G-433 was a 140' 7 panel cross braced Pratt or Howe truss with a 24 deck and a 20 roadway. The 1924 bridge had a curved eastern approach with a 4" thick timber deck. The main span was fabricated by the Illinois Steel Bridge Co., of Jacksonville, Illinois. It was reported to be 40% complete on Sept 10, 1924. On Oct 23 1924 Sam A Baker candidate for Governor attended a fish fry at the bridge which was still under construction. The event was put on by Father Peters and the parishioners of Glennonville who were supporters of the bridge and road improvements on what is now Route 53 (Sikeston Standard Oct 28 1924 pg1) .

Bridge G-433R replaced G-433 at a cost of $150,000. State Bridge Engineer N.R. Sack signed the final plans for bridge G-433R on July 7 1939. The new replacement bridge built as Project No. ER 5-B (1) (R53) at Sta. 974+14.07 apparently reused 16 of the existing timber piles beneath the main river on the east side of the river (Pier 6) but added more than 20 additional piles below both the north and south side of the pier. They removed and totally replaced the superstructure and deck as well as the the curved eastern approach, which was replaced with a series of new straight approaches. Steel from the old bridge was reused to reinforce the new concrete bridge piers. A set of blue print plans for the 1923-24 bridge were filed with the Dunklin County Court in October 1923 and another set of plans were sent to the USACE in Memphis at that time.

Facts 

Overview
Lost through truss bridge over St. Francis River on MO 53 SE of Qulin near Glennonville
Location
Dunklin County, Missouri, and Butler County, Missouri
Status
Replaced
History
Built in 1939-40
Design
Main span: Riveted, 7-panel Parker through truss
Approaches: 3 25' steel stringer spans on the west side and 1 30' and 15 25' steel stringer spans on the east side
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 140.1 ft.
Total length: 654.7 ft.
Deck width: 25.9 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.3 ft.
Also called
Deken's Ferry Bridge
Dekins Ferry Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+36.57365, -90.18458   (decimal degrees)
36°34'25" N, 90°11'04" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/751926/4051267 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Glennonville
Land survey
T. 22 N., R. 8 E., Sec. 3
Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
4,249
Inventory numbers
MoDOT G-433R (Missouri Dept. of Transportation bridge number)
MONBI 4636 (Missouri bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 21470 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of February 2017)
Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 25.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • May 22, 2019: New photo from Joe Sonderman
  • January 3, 2019: New photo from Rusty Weisman
  • September 12, 2016: New photos from Jack Schmidt
  • June 24, 2015: New photo from Rusty Weisman
  • November 28, 2006: Posted all new photos

Sources 

Comments 

Glennonville Bridge
Posted May 10, 2019, by Robert Elder (robertelder1 [at] gmail [dot] com)

Well, that is a shame. It looks like this bridge was either demolished during a major flood, or it was besieged by Major flood after it's demolition. Either way, it is going to be an expensive clean-up. Too bad it could not have been placed on dry land. I'm sure there are plenty of trail authorities that would have loved to have made use of this bridge.

Glennonville Bridge
Posted May 10, 2019, by Benjamin Nobles (benjamin [dot] nobles [at] gmail [dot] com)

This bridge is no longer open. The replacement bridge opened in April of 2019. The old bridge has been dropped into the river and is in the process of being scrapped.

Glennonville Bridge
Posted February 17, 2016, by Craig Meador (cmeador [at] semo [dot] net)

PUBLIC MEETING SCHEDULED TO DISCUSS ROUTE 53 BRIDGE PROJECT

Officials with the Missouri Department of Transportation will be hosting a public meeting in Qulin next week to discuss constructing a new Route 53 bridge over the St. Francis River in Butler and Dunklin Counties.

The project manager tells us that Visitors can stop by the Qulin Middle School anytime between 4 and 6 pm on February 25th to discuss the details of the project and provide comments.

The project will include constructing a Route 53 bridge over the St. Francis River on a new alignment to replace the existing bridges at the location.