Rating:
No votes cast

Grand Glaize Bridge

Photos 

Color postcard

BH Photo #104345

Map 

Facts 

Overview
Lost deck truss bridge over the Grand Glaize Arm, Lake of the Ozarks, on US 54 between Laguna Beach and Osage Beach
Location
Camden County, Missouri
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Construction started March 1930 and finished January 1931 in conjunction with the creation of Lake of the Ozarks. New parallel bridge (now carrying westbound traffic) completed in 1984; eastbound bridge finished 1995.
Builders
- C.P. O'Reilly & Co. of St. Louis, Missouri
- Pioneer Construction Co. of Malvern, Arkansas
- Stupp Brothers Bridge & Iron Co. of St. Louis, Missouri
- Sverdrup & Parcel of St. Louis, Missouri (Designer)
Design
Warren deck truss
Approximate latitude, longitude
+38.13385, -92.64247   (decimal degrees)
38°08'02" N, 92°38'33" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/531333/4220726 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Lake Ozark
Land survey
T. 39 N., R. 16 W., Sec. 11
Inventory number
BH 21067 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • April 25, 2015: New photo from Paul Hamby
  • January 3, 2010: New photo from Eric Kinkhorst
  • October 7, 2008: New photos from James Baughn

Sources 

  • HAER MO-79 - Grand Glaize Bridge
  • James Baughn - webmaster [at] bridgehunter [dot] com
  • Eric Kinkhorst - erick [dot] bud [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Wikipedia

Comments 

Grand Glaize Bridge
Posted October 22, 2018, by Pam Wilson Martin (Pammartin68 [at] gmail [dot] com)

I remember with fondness the many summers spent at Camp Pin Oak as a Girl Scout. In the summer of 1965 our senior scout Unit 5 took a 60 mile canoe trip. The highlight of our trip was all 18 of us beaching our canoes and walking across the bridge via the catwalk which was suspended from beneath the bridge. Not sure this was allowed, but oh what fun that special summer!

Grand Glaize Bridge
Posted June 6, 2006, by Brian Roos (dragon8warrior [at] gmail [dot] com)

This was a very famous bridge and can be seen in hundreds of post cards from the lake region. People use to call it the Upside Down Bridge because of its unusual design. The bridge was built this way so motorist could have a great view of the lake. Sadly the ugly concrete eye sore that replaced it is very hard to see over the sides from a car. Before the bridge was torn down in 1995 and after it was closed in the 1980's people use to put Christmas decorations out on the bridge.