Perche Creek Covered Bridge, 25-10-01
Perche Creek Covered Bridge
Perche Creek Covered Bridge (eastern span), built by Travis Burroughs on the Boone's Lick Road in 1850. Replaced by a new Route 40 bridge in 1927 located downstream on new alignment. This bridge was demolished in August 1931, after efforts by the Boone Co Historical Society to preserve it failed. The stone piers were subsequently removed in 1940 during realignment of US Route 40. The eastern end of this bridge was at the eastern end of the 1940 bridge. Two pier stones from the eastern abutment remain under the eastbound lanes of the I-70 bridge
SHSMO Missouri Covered Bridge Album
View this photo at digital.shsmo.org
BH Photo #427689
Demolished in August 1931. Realignment of US Route 40 in 1941 under project F-229 B 2 - Booneville to Columbia Perche Creek Relocation. Plans for that project called for 'Removal of the Old Stone Bridge Piers' at Sta. 476+70 and Sta. 477+64 - The stationing for the stone piers provides the 90' estimate for the length of the main span (which is skewed with respect to the 94' distance between stations on the new Route 40 alignment).
- Lost covered bridge over Perche Creek west of Columbia, near the modern I-70 crossing
- Columbia, Boone County, Missouri
- Removed August 1931 after a new bridge was built in 1927 downstream for US 40
- Built 1850-51 by Travis Burroughs for $2,500
- - Travis Burroughs
- Covered Town Lattice through truss - east span appears to have had 6 bents, each approx. 15' long.
Length of largest span: 90.0 ft.
Total length: 180.0 ft.
- Also called
- 'Kissing Bridge'
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.97120, -92.41022 (decimal degrees)
38°58'16" N, 92°24'37" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/551091/4313746 (zone/easting/northing)
- Land survey
- T. 48 N., R. 13 W., Sec. 8
- 600 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 20911 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 25, 2018: New photo from Rusty Weisman
- May 10, 2018: New photo from Rusty Weisman
- May 1, 2008: Updated by David B. Haun: Updated categories
- "Missouri's Covered Bridges" - Article by Dorothy Caldwell
in the Jan. 1967 issue of Missouri Historical Review (Vol. LXI, No. 2)
- David B. Haun
- Rusty Weisman