The Granite Falls Walking Bridge has a history dating as far back as 1888 with the construction of its first footbridge, a simple wooden stringer bridge with wood pilings. Problem with that was with each new bridge, ice or floods would take it down. When a new bridge was built in 1889, it was the third structure built in its place. It was replaced with a wider and more structurally sound bridge in 1896. But ice took it out in 1913 and despite attempts to free up the ice from slamming against the bridge, a newer structure was destroyed in 1917 but was replaced with a sturdier bridge in time for the Fourth of July that year. Problems with flooding and ice continued until voters unanimously approved a bond for a new bridge in August 1933. Construction of the bridge was completed two years later and the bridge has been serving pedestrians ever since, despite flood damage in 1969, 1997 and 2001 and renovations that occurred prior to the second flooding. The suspension pedestrian bridge still serves traffic today and connects the business district with a park on the Chippewa County side.