Photo taken by Historic American Engineering Record
BH Photo #114819
This historic bridge over the Mississippi River at Winona now carries one-way eastbound traffic. After a new parallel bridge was built to carry the traffic, it was closed starting in 2016 for a complete reconstruction. On July 1, 2019 the ribbon was cut to reopen this bridge to eastbound traffic, with the new parallel bridge now carrying only westbound traffic, bicycles, and pedestrians.
- Through truss bridge over Mississippi River on eastbound MN 43 in Winona
- Winona, Winona County, Minnesota
- Open to two lanes of one-way eastbound traffic
- Future prospects
- Preserved as eastbound half of a two-way couplet.
- Built 1941; rehabilitated 1985, 2008; closed 2016 for reconstruction and reopened July 1, 2019.
- - Minneapolis Bridge Co. of Minneapolis, Minnesota (South approach to Main Channel bridge)
- Minnesota Highway Department
- Wisconsin State Highway Commission
- Cantilevered Warren through truss main span with Warren deck truss and concrete beam approach spans.
Length of largest span: 450.2 ft.
Total length: 2,288.5 ft. (0.4 mi.)
Deck width: 30.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 18.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.05768, -91.64004 (decimal degrees)
44°03'28" N, 91°38'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/608928/4879178 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Winona West
- Average daily traffic (as of 2004)
- Inventory numbers
- MN 5900 (Minnesota bridge number)
BH 20674 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 24.3 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 26, 2021: New Street View added by Roger Deschner
- October 6, 2019: Updated by Roger Deschner: Bridge reopened to traffic July 1, 2019
- June 17, 2018: New photo from John Bernhisel
- October 17, 2017: Updated by Roger Deschner: Bridge is entirely in Minnesota. Removed mention of Wisconsin.
- January 30, 2017: Updated by Roger Deschner: Bridge now closed for rehab
- February 8, 2016: New video from Roger Deschner
- September 14, 2010: New photos from Jason Smith
- July 19, 2010: New photos from Nate Ahrensfeld
- January 22, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Bridge's fate is uncertain, likely will be replaced.
- June 6, 2008: New photos from Historic American Engineering Record
- June 4, 2008: Bridge failed inspection on June 3