John A. Latsch Wagon Bridge
This 13-span open spandrel concrete arch bridge was built in 1916 to connect to the Winona High Bridge and provide a complete route across both channels of the Mississippi River. It crosses the state line.
In 1940 the new Main Channel Bridge was opened (BH 20674, the one that is currently under rehab), along with a new North Channel Bridge, so in 1942 the old High Bridge was torn down to salvage its steel for the war effort. This concrete bridge had little salvage value, so it was spared. However, since the old High Bridge trestle had connected directly to this bridge, that left its west end as a dead end in mid-air.
In 1947 a new concrete ramp was built to connect the west end of the bridge to the ground. This approach span is interesting in its own right, as a set of concrete rigid frame structures.
The bridge was closed due to deterioration in 1996. A local fundraising effort paid for repairs, and it reopened in 2004.
- Concrete arch bridge over North Channel Mississippi River on Old Duke Road in Winona
- Winona, Winona County, Minnesota, and Buffalo County, Wisconsin
- Open to traffic; posted for 4 ton load and 5 MPH speed limits
- Built 1916; Approach span added 1947; Rehabilitated 2003
- 13-span open-spandrel concrete deck arch, with concrete rigid frame approach span
Length of largest span: 71.9 ft.
Total length: 1,220.2 ft.
Deck width: 17.4 ft.
- Also called
- North Channel Mississippi River Bridge
Old Duke Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.05984, -91.63242 (decimal degrees)
44°03'35" N, 91°37'57" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/609728/4879449 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Winona West
- Inventory numbers
- MN 4260 (Minnesota bridge number)
BH 20675 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 04/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 27.8 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1989)
- October 8, 2017: Updated by Roger Deschner: Added Description, changed type to open-spandrel, renamed to official name
- December 4, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- September 5, 2012: Photo imported by Luke Harden
- September 4, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Bridge is open to traffic