City of Stillwater Heritage Preservation Commission podcast
Stillwater's first bridge across the St. Croix opened in 1876. The lift bridge was completed in 1931, and is one of the three remaining vertical-lift highway bridges built in Minnesota and Wisconsin prior to World War II. This style of lift bridge is commonly known as a Waddell and Harrington vertical lift. The span is raised and lowered by steel cables passing over sheaths at the top of steel towers mounted on the span's piers.
Video submitted by City of Stillwater
Play video on YouTube