Bearskin River Bridge
Photo taken by Matthew Lohry in June 2010
BH Photo #168660
This bridge was a riveted Warren pony truss bridge with verticals. It was of a design that was used on the vast majority of river crossings in St. Louis County, and could still be found in wide supply up to twenty years ago. Now, there are only a handful left in the county, and it is just a matter of time before they are wiped off the face of the earth like all the others. This particular bridge appeared to be in decent shape, with no major rust buildup anywhere, and with no damage to any members. There was a small modification, consisting of the replacement of rivets at one connection with bolts. The approaches were not any bridge type, but just long concrete abutments. Interestingly enough, the abutments were wider than the bridge's main span, and the railings bumped out to follow this width on either side of the main span. No V-lacing or lattice was present on the bridge; its built-up members consisted of angle members and battens. Battens were also used under the upper chord and on the lower chord. Underneath, the stringers were rigidly attached to the sides of the floor beams rather than rest on top of them. The deck was cast-in-place concrete, and the approaches were overlaid with asphalt. The original railings were double angles, the standard for county roads at the time in St. Louis County.
- Warren pony truss bridge over Bearskin River on CR 962
- St. Louis County, Minnesota
- Demolished and replaced
- Built 1919, demolished 2011
- Riveted Warren pony truss with verticals
Length of largest span: 60.7 ft.
Total length: 101.7 ft.
Deck width: 17.1 ft.
- Also called
- Airport Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +47.81944, -93.06167 (decimal degrees)
47°49'10" N, 93°03'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/495383/5296234 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Bear River
- Average daily traffic (as of 2003)
- Inventory numers
- MN 89071 (Minnesota bridge number)
BH 20601 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2010)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 27.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 30, 2012: Updated by Matt Lohry: Updated: This bridge is gone.
- June 28, 2010: Updated by Matthew Lohry: Updated bridge type and added photos