Sturgeon River Bridge
Portal view from the north
Photo taken by Matthew Lohry in June 2010
BH Photo #168737
Sadly, once the demise of the Cloquet River Bridge has taken place, this beautiful and historic structure will be the LAST remaining conventional through truss bridge in St. Louis County (at least according to the NBI|). There are a few other through trusses, but none of them are stationary conventional trusses like this one. This bridge has a few factors in its favor, though--with an ASTOUNDING sufficiency rating of 63.4 (huge for a 91-year-old truss bridge), and on a road that sees very little traffic, hopefully this bridge will be around for a while yet. The bridge has next to no rust, no bent or damaged members, and a near-perfectly intact substructure. To paraphrase, it is a bridge worth saving! Time will tell the future of this bridge.
- Through truss bridge over Sturgeon River on CR 931
- St. Louis County, Minnesota
- Open to traffic
- Built 1919
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 90.9 ft.
Total length: 142.1 ft.
Deck width: 17.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.2 ft.
- Also called
- Murray Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +47.79250, -92.93361 (decimal degrees)
47°47'33" N, 92°56'01" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/504972/5293240 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Meadow Brook
- Average daily traffic (as of 2003)
- Inventory numbers
- MN 88796 (Minnesota bridge number)
BH 20632 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 44.6 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 28, 2010: New photos from Matthew Lohry
- March 18, 2010: Updated by Matthew Lohry: Updated bridge information.