Como Park Footbridge
View ca. 1914
This historical photo shows the bridge in its prime, before a complete lack of care of this beautiful bridge allowed it to deteriorate.
Source: Vol 28, Contact Record and Engineering Review, 1914
BH Photo #202136
Statement of Significance
Written by Nathan Holth
This bridge is an exceedingly rare example of a concrete arch bridge which is reinforced with solid, built-up beams, as opposed to rebar. This detail is generally found in the oldest of concrete arch bridges and all surviving examples should be assigned a high level of historic and technological significance as they represent the early development of reinforced concrete bridge construction. Despite its great significance, this bridge has been allowed to deteriorate to a very serious condition. The reinforcing is today clearly visible, and the balustrade railings have been lost.
- Abandoned Melan style open-spandrel arch bridge over Abandoned Light Railroad Line on Pedestrian Walkway
- Ramsey County, Minnesota
- - William S. Hewett & Co. of Minneapolis, Minnesota
- - Twin City Rapid Transit Co. (TCRT; TCL)
- "Melan" style built-up beam reinforced concrete open spandrel deck arch bridge.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.97841, -93.14614 (decimal degrees)
44°58'42" N, 93°08'46" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/488477/4980561 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Saint Paul West
- Inventory number
- BH 48952 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 23, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- October 20, 2013: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- October 4, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Twin Cities Rapid Transportation Co."
- September 15, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Twin City Rapid Transit Co.", "William S. Hewett & Co."
- August 10, 2012: Photo imported by Luke Harden
- June 20, 2011: Essay added by Nathan Holth