Rating:
No votes cast

Lower Bridge (2nd)

Map 

Description 

From: http://www.mrdbridges.com/lostBr.php

"In 1873, the King Bridge Company of Topeka, Kansas began construction of an iron truss bridge on masonry piers, connecting 10th Avenue South on the west bank with 6th Avenue Southeast on the east side. It was originally known as the Lower Bridge and later as the 10th Avenue Bridge. In deteriorating condition, it was closed to vehicular traffic in 1934 and was demolished in early 1943, with the scrap iron recycled for use in World War II. One masonry pier still stands today like a sentinel in the river near the east bank. This bridge should not be confused with the current 10th Avenue (Cedar Avenue) bridge, built in 1929, which is located downstream of the earlier bridge. "

Facts 

Overview
Lost Truss bridge over Mississippi River on 10th Avenue South/ 6th Avenue SE
Location
Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota
Status
Removed but not replaced
History
Construction started 1873, closed 1934, demolished 1943
Builder
- King Bridge Co. of Cleveland, Ohio (Topeka, Kansas Plant)
Design
Iron Truss
Also called
10th Avenue Bridge (NOT the current 10th Avenue Bridge)
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.98025, -93.25091   (decimal degrees)
44°58'49" N, 93°15'03" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/480217/4980787 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Minneapolis South
Inventory number
BH 60081 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • March 2, 2014: Updated by Don Morrison: Added category "Mississippi River"

Related Bridges 

Sources 

  • Don Morrison