Boom Island Pedestrian Bridge
Overall elevation view
Photo taken by Matthew Lohry
This beautiful 8-panel pin-connected Pratt through truss bridge originally served as a railroad bridge for transporting trains between Nicollet Island and Boom Island during the days of the sawmill. The bridge was built in 1901, eight years after a fire wiped out the sawmill that existed at that time. This bridge features V-lacing on the top and bottom of the upper chords, as well as the sides of the verticals paralleling the portals. The portal bracing and sway bracing feature large lattice. The bridge's light construction reflects the early railroad days when trains were much lighter than today's monsters. This bridge has been nicely preserved in its original location and currently serves as a pedestrian link between Boom Island Park and Nicollet Island.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Back Channel of Mississippi River on Pedestrian trail
- Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota
- Open to pedestrians
- Built 1901, Converted to pedestrian usage in 1987
- - Butler-Ryan Co. of St. Paul, Minnesota (Builder)
- Charles Frederick Loweth (Designer)
- R.B. Tweedy (Chief Engineer)
- Pratt through truss
Span length: 175.0 ft.
Total length: 175.0 ft.
Deck width: 19.0 ft.
- Also called
- Wisconsin Central Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.99069, -93.26554 (decimal degrees)
44°59'26" N, 93°15'56" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/479068/4981950 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Minneapolis South
- Inventory number
- BH 45221 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 13, 2013: New photos from John Marvig
- August 10, 2012: Updated by John Marvig: Added category "railroad"
- July 27, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added build date, builders, edited span length/wifth, added alt. name. and link to John Week's website
- December 30, 2010: New photos from Jason Smith
- May 10, 2010: Added by Matthew Lohry