4th Avenue Bridge
Oblique view of south two trusses
Photo taken by Matthew Lohry in May 2010
This bridge is a nicely preserved example of a very early riveted Warren pony truss bridge. What makes this bridge so unique is that it features three trusses, rather than the customary two trusses that most truss bridges have. The bridge's chords are built-up double-flange members, while the diagonals are individual 90-degree angle members that are riveted back-to-back to either side of the chords to form a "T" shape. The bridge lacks lattice and V-lacing entirely. Even though the bridge is mostly covered up with a concrete sidewalk and is filled in underneath, it appears as though it is mostly intact, including the flooring system. It does appear, however, that the bridge had cantilevered sidewalks, but they have been crudely cut off with a cutting torch. This appears to be the only modification, and it is nice to see that most of the structure has been left alone. The bridge has been preserved in its original location, and is now surrounded by condos and landscaped grounds. The area is beautifully finished, and the bridge being in the center of it enhances its surroundings.
- Warren Pony truss bridge over abandoned BNSF Railroad on MN 601 (4th Avenue N) in Minneapolis
- Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built 1891
- Warren pony truss with three trusses
Length of largest span: 45.9 ft.
Total length: 47.9 ft.
Deck width: 37.1 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.98667, -93.27167 (decimal degrees)
44°59'12" N, 93°16'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/478583/4981505 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Minneapolis South
- Inventory numbers
- MN L8898 (Minnesota bridge number)
BH 20386 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 22, 2010: New Street View added by Matthew Lohry
- May 29, 2010: Updated by Matthew Lohry: Updated bridge design and added description
- May 12, 2010: Updated by Matthew Lohry: Updated status