Rating:
No votes cast

Constantine-Washington Street Bowstring Bridge

Photos 

Pre 1923 photo

BH Photo #444823

Map 

Description 

Grant Farrand's notes talk about 3 bowstring bridges being built by Simon de Graff of Syracuse, New York. He built this bridge in the summer of 1869 for $15,000. It collapsed in November of that year and was rebuilt by early 1870. This bridge stood until 1905 when the 3-span pony truss bridge was built.

http://colonmuseum.com/grant-farrand-diary-notes/

Facts 

Overview
Lost Bridge over St Joseph River
Location
Constantine, St. Joseph County, Michigan
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Built in August 1869 by Simon de Graff; replaced in 1905.
Builders
- Simon de Graff of Syracuse, New York (Builder)
- Squire Whipple of Albany, New York (Design)
Design
Bowstring through truss (Squire Whipple design)
Dimensions
Total length: 231.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.84281, -85.66961   (decimal degrees)
41°50'34" N, 85°40'11" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/610451/4633179 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 84698 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • March 22, 2019: New photo from Dana and Kay Klein
  • March 19, 2019: New photo from Tony Dillon

Sources