Rating:
1 vote

Gugel Bridge

Share:

Photos 

Photo taken by Janis Ford 2/21/09

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Built in 1904, this 204-foot-long bridge carried the Detroit and Saginaw Turnpike over the Cass River in Bridgeport Township. By around 1919 the pike, which became the well-traveled Dixie Highway, required a more substantial crossing and this bridge was replaced and relocated to this site. The bridge closed in 1979. William 'Tiny' Zehnder had the structure restored as a pedestrian bridge in 2004. The Gugel Bridge is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. [From Michmarkers.com]

Facts 

Overview
Through truss bridge over Cass River on Beyer Road
Location
Saginaw County, Michigan
Status
Open to pedestrians
History
Built 1904
Design
Main span: Pin-connected, 8-panel Pratt through truss
Approach: Pin-connected, 4-panel Pratt pony truss
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 141.7 ft.
Total length: 205.1 ft.
Deck width: 15.7 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 15, 2000
Also called
Beyer Road Bridge
Cass River Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+43.32911, -83.77635   (decimal degrees)
43°19'45" N, 83°46'35" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/274910/4801106 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Birch Run North
Inventory numbers
MINBI 73311H00038B010 (Michigan bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory 2010 and before)
NRHP 00000217 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 20208 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection (as of 06/1999)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 16.1 (out of 100)
Average daily traffic (as of 1997)
150

Update Log 

  • October 10, 2014: New photo from Janis Ford
  • February 25, 2014: New photos from James Baughn
  • February 24, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King

Sources