LSI - Presque Isle Ore Dock
Trestle connects to Ore Dock
Rail cars are pushed onto the ore dock by locomotives; the cars are dumped into pockets below the tracks. Chutes are dropped to the cargo hatches of the ship and the ore is dumped into the hold.
Photo taken by Robert Thompson in October 2011
BH Photo #216926
This trestle connects the rail yard to the Presque Isle Ore Dock, where lake freighters are loaded with iron ore from the Marquette Iron Range mines. From here, it is shipped to steel mills in Chicago, Gary and Cleveland.
- Deck plate girder bridge over Lake Shore Blvd. on Railroad
- Marquette, Marquette County, Michigan
- Open to traffic
- Built 1911
- - Duluth, South Shore, & Atlantic Railway (DSSA)
- Lake Superior & Ishpeming Railroad (LSI)
- Deck plate girder
Length of largest span: 37.7 ft.
Total length: 38.7 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +46.58059, -87.38988 (decimal degrees)
46°34'50" N, 87°23'24" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/470127/5158631 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- MINEW 06628 (Michigan bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory 2011 and later)
BH 49805 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 22, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- September 5, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Duluth, South Shore, & Atlantic Railway"
- October 10, 2011: Added by Robert Thompson