This bridge was built in 1889 for the Chicago & West Michigan Railway, which was later purchased and became a part of the Pere Marquette Railroad's main line from Grand Rapids to Traverse City. In 1911, under PM ownership, the bridge underwent structural reinforcing to double its load capacity. In 1947 the line was acquired by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad. Eight years later, the C&O finished their acquisition of the parallel route belonging to the PM-controlled Manistee & Northeastern Railroad, having already shifted all traffic onto that route. No longer needed by the railroad, the bridge was dismantled in the autumn of 1955. The site is now a state park.
When built, it was the highest rail bridge in Michigan hence it's name. Removed by the C&O Railroad in 1955 in favor of an alternate route. Footings are still visible. At one time only bridge nearby so it was used by locals to walk across.
Lost Bridge over Manistee River on former Pere Marquette Railroad in Wellston