Rating:
No votes cast

McCourtie Park Bridge #14

Photos 

Distant view

Photo taken by Paul Plassman in September 2019

Enlarge

BH Photo #505078

Description 

One of 17 ornamental footbridges constructed out of concrete but carved to look like wood by Mexican artisans George Cardoso and Ralph Corona in the 1930's for the Somerset country estate of concrete tycoon W.H.L. "Herb" McCourtie. In accordance with the NRHP nomination form, the bridges are numbered in increasing order from west to east along Goose Creek.

Facts 

Overview
Concrete slab bridge over Goose Creek on Pedestrian path
Location
McCourtie Park, Hillsdale County, Michigan
Status
Open to pedestrians only
History
Built 1930's by George Cardoso and Ralph Corona for W.H.L. McCourtie
Builder
- George Cordoso and Ralph Corona
Design
Concrete slab with decoratively carved concrete rails
Dimensions
Total length: 16.4 ft.
Deck width: 4.9 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 24, 1992
Approximate latitude, longitude
+42.05172, -84.40802   (decimal degrees)
42°03'06" N, 84°24'29" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/714494/4658768 (zone/easting/northing)
Elevation
1035 ft. above sea level
Inventory numbers
NRHP 91001984 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 94126 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • August 27, 2021: Added by Paul Plassman

Sources 

  • Paul Plassman
  • NRHP nomination form - Excellent description of each bridge and the history of the park