Bar Mills Memorial Bridge
This bridge over the Saco River connecting
the Buxton and Hollis sides of the historic village of Bar Mills is a World War l Memorial. The bronze
Soldiers Monument commemorating World War I veterans from Buxton and
Hollis is affixed to a boulder and is placed on the Buxton side of the Memorial
The official dedication of the Memorial Bridge was held in May of 1938 and drew
a crowd of 5,000. The bridge replaced one just a little upriver that was destroyed
in the 1936 flood.
The Memorial Bridge has been evaluated for replacement by the State DOT
(Department of Transportation). Estimated completion is in 2015. Current plans
are for a new bridge just a few feet upriver. The stone and bronze monument will
be relocated a few feet from its present Buxton side location.
- Through truss bridge over Saco River on ME 4A (Portland Road) in Hollis
- Buxton, York County, Maine
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1936; rehabilitated 1987
- - Boston Bridge Works of Boston, Massachusetts
- Continuous Warren through truss
Length of largest span: 224.1 ft.
Total length: 512.2 ft.
Deck width: 22.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.9 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Saco River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.61250, -70.55167 (decimal degrees)
43°36'45" N, 70°33'06" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/374788/4830005 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Bar Mills
- Inventory numbers
- ME 3333 (Maine bridge number)
BH 19938 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 11/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 33.6 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- October 17, 2017: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished and replaced.
- January 3, 2015: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- April 13, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated name.
- Nathan Holth
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net