Beals Island Bridge
This bridge is the only vehicular access to Beals Island. The structure is of a very similar design, although not exactly the same as, the FDR Memorial Bridge over Lubec Narrows connecting to Campobello Island, New Brunswick.
The bridge is currently being replaced by a new bridge of an unknown design. The existing Beals Island Bridge should be considered at risk for demolition once the new bridge is complete, given MaineDOT's poor historic bridge preservation record. Demolition may occur anytime between September 2020 and January 2021.
(Update November 2020: Per MaineDOT's official Instagram page, this bridge has been demolished and replaced with a UCEB https://www.instagram.com/p/CHQFJxRApm2/)
- Lost deck plate girder bridge over Mossabec Reach on Bridge Street
- Jonesport, Washington County, Maine
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1958; rehabilitated 1986; Demolished & Replaced with UCEB 2020
- Deck plate girder
Length of largest span: 105.0 ft.
Total length: 1,049.9 ft.
Deck width: 22.0 ft.
- Also called
- Beals Island-Jonesport Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.52497, -67.61477 (decimal degrees)
44°31'30" N, 67°36'53" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/610075/4931115 (zone/easting/northing)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- ME 5500 (Maine bridge number)
BH 89207 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 35.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- November 15, 2020: Updated by Nick Boppel: Bridge has been replaced with a UCEB
- May 7, 2020: Added by Nick Boppel
- Nick Boppel - nickboppel01 [at] gmail [dot] com