Photo taken 1994 by Jet Lowe for the Historic American Engineering Record
BH Photo #103417
- Demolished suspension bridge over Penobscot River on former US 1 in Prospect
- Waldo County, Maine, and Hancock County, Maine
- Demolished, despite not being in the way of anything.
- Built 1931; bypassed by new bridge 2006-07; Demolished 2012-2013; Removed from NRHP 12-18-2013
- - American Bridge Co. of New York (Contractor)
- David B. Steinman of New York, New York (Engineer)
- Holton D. Robinson of Massena, New York (Engineer)
- Merritt-Chapman & Scott Corporation of New York, New York (Contractor)
- Robinson & Steinman of New York, New York (Engineering Firm)
- Wire suspension
Length of largest span: 799.9 ft.
Total length: 2,042.1 ft. (0.4 mi.)
Deck width: 23.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 19.2 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.56033, -68.80167 (decimal degrees)
44°33'37" N, 68°48'06" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/515750/4934129 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2006)
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 85001267 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
ME 3008 (Maine bridge number)
BH 19922 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2013)
- Sufficiency rating: 11.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- October 19, 2014: New photos from Patrick S. O'Donnell
- August 21, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Updated NRHP status: Removed
- July 2, 2014: New Street View added by Ralph Demars
- May 16, 2013: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished.
- April 12, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- November 7, 2009: Essay added by Craig Philpott
- October 21, 2009: Updated by C Hanchey: Bridge is still in place, but scheduled for demolition; added bridge builder
- October 20, 2009: New photos from Craig Philpott
- September 15, 2006: Posted HAER photos