Rating:
No votes cast

Goose River Bridge (Old)

Photos 

Goose River Bridge (Old)

1921 view

Photo from Legacy Rockport

License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)

View this photo at penbaypilot.com

BH Photo #471647

Map 

Description 

As found in "History of Camden and Rockport", after several years of debate on whether to replace the old wooden bridge over the Goose River, in 1884 the town allocated $12,000 for a 159' iron bridge. When the Rockland, Thomaston & Camden Street Railway was constructed in 1892, it crossed the river on this bridge. In 1905, the railway petitioned the town to strengthen the bridge and relocate its tracks to the center of the bridge--evidently the original tracks were to one side and deemed too close to truss members, and it was so done. In 1921 a separate trolley bridge was built adjacent. The railway closed in 1931.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Lenticular through truss bridge over Goose River on Pascal Avenue in Rockport
Location
Rockport, Knox County, Maine
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Built 1884-1885; strengthened 1905; replaced 1951
Builder
- Berlin Iron Bridge Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut
Design
Lenticular through truss
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 159.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.18745, -69.07401   (decimal degrees)
44°11'15" N, 69°04'26" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
19/494085/4892695 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 89199 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • May 17, 2020: New photos from Chester Gehman
  • May 17, 2020: Updated by Tony Dillon: Changed from Bowstring to Lenticular truss and added builder
  • May 5, 2020: New photo from Geoff Hubbs

Sources 

  • Geoff Hubbs
  • Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
  • Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com