Rating:
No votes cast

US 201 Kennebec River Bridge

Photos 

Photo taken by Sawyer

License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND)

Enlarge

View this photo on Flickr

BH Photo #271549

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This bridge as mentioned by Nathan Holth's link below has an interesting history. A vintage postcard image contains the information: "Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville Street Railway trolley car on the new railroad bridge in Waterville. The bridge spanning the Kennebec River was built in 1909 by Fred Ley Co., Springfield, Massachusetts." The concrete arch originally had a deck truss adjacent. This truss appears to have been replaced with steel beams in 1936. Subsequent road/pavement renovations occurred over the years giving a modern look from the top.

Facts 

Overview
Concrete arch & steel stringer bridge over Kennebec River on Rte 201
Location
Waterville, Kennebec County, Maine
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built 1909; rehabilitated 1936, 1990
Builder
- Fred T. Ley Co. of Springfield, Massachusetts
Railroads
- Androscoggin & Kennebec Railway (A&K)
- Interurban
- Lewiston, Augusta & Waterville Street Railway (LA&W)
- Streetcar
Design
Concrete arch & steel stringer
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 145.0 ft.
Total length: 575.2 ft.
Deck width: 62.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.54694, -69.62699   (decimal degrees)
44°32'49" N, 69°37'37" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
19/450196/4932813 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Waterville
Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
8,555
Inventory numbers
ME 2854 (Maine bridge number)
BH 58929 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of June 2016)
Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 74 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • November 5, 2014: Photo imported by Brian Bartlett
  • March 12, 2014: New photo from Brian bartlett
  • December 7, 2013: Photo imported by Brian Bartlett
  • December 6, 2013: Photo imported by Brian bartlett
  • December 5, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added photograph
  • December 5, 2013: Added by Brian bartlett

Sources