Bar Harbor-Yarmouth Ferry
The ferry service between Bar Harbor, Maine and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia was originally operated by the Canadian government via the nationalized Canadian National Railway until 1977, when the reorganizing of the Canadian National created CN Marine. CN Marine provided ferry service until 1986, when the Canadian National began the process of abandoning their lines on Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island, eliminating their need for a ferry service. As a result, CN Marine, a separate corporate entity from the Canadian National, rebranded itself as Marine Atlantique, and continued providing service until 1997, when it ceased to service all routes except for the constitutionally mandated service to Port aux Basques, Newfoundland as part of cost-cutting measures. As a result, Bay Ferries Limited was formed to provide ferry service along two of the routes Marine Atlantique had abandoned. Bay Ferries provided the Ferry service to Bar Harbor until 2009.
M/V Bluenose (1955) purchased by Electric Boat Company of Groton, Connecticut in 1983 from the Canadian government.
M/V Bluenose (1982) Sold to Euroferrys in 1998.
HSC INCAT 046 "Devil Cat" (1998) sold to the government of Trinidad and Tobago's Ministry of Works and Transport in 2006.
HSC "The Cat" (2002) sold to Fujian Cross Strait Ferry Corporation in 2011.
- Lost Ferry across Bay of Fundy carrying Pedestrians and Automobiles
- Yarmouth, Canada, Hancock County, Maine
- Ferry serviced ceased in 2009
- Ferry service began 1955 by the Canadian government; Boats replaced 1982, 1998, & 2002; Serviced ended 2009
- - Davie Shipbuilding of Lauzon, Québec, Canada (1955 M/V Bluenose)
- Incat of Hobart, Tasmania, Commonwealth of Australia (1997 HSC INCAT 046/"Devil Cat"; 2002 HSC "The Cat")
- Jozo Lozovina-Mosor Shipyard of Mali Lošinj, Primorje-Gorski Kotar, Lošinj, Yugoslavia (Now Croatia) (Built 1973 as M/V Stena Jutlandica; Renamed M/V Bluenose for service here in 1982)
- - Canadian National Railway (CN)
- Ferry crossing
- Also called
- M/V Bluenose
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.39845, -68.22681 (decimal degrees)
44°23'54" N, 68°13'37" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/561573/4916419 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 66509 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 15, 2015: Added by Luke
- Flickr - M/V Bluenose (1982)