CSX - Susquehanna River Bridge
Main span on west side of island
This is the longest through truss span on the bridge at over 500 feet.
Photo taken by Jann Mayer in September 2005
License: Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY)
BH Photo #239988
This bridge crosses the Susquehanna River between Havre De Grace and Perryville, MD. Although it crosses Garrett Island in the middle, it is a continuous bridge consisting of 38 spans.
The west side of the river has a 500+ foot through Pennsylvania truss and 8 230 foot deck truss spans. The east side has a 500+ foot deck Pennsylvania truss, a 400 foot through Pennsylvania truss, and 2 230 foot deck truss spans. The spans over the island were originally girder spans, much shorter than the others.
- Through and deck truss bridge over Susquehanna on railroad
- Perryville, Harford County, Maryland, and Cecil County, Maryland
- Open to traffic
- Built 1907-09 by Baltimore & Ohio RR as double-track bridge and opened January 6, 1910, later single-tracked
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- - Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O; BO)
- CSX Railroad (CSX)
- Main spans: Pennsylvania through and deck trusses and Pratt deck truss. Eleven deck truss spans total; 23 girder spans
Length of largest span: 520.0 ft.
Total length: 6,109.0 ft. (1.2 mi.)
- Also called
- Baltimore & Ohio RR Susquehanna River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.56640, -76.09342 (decimal degrees)
39°33'59" N, 76°05'36" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/406077/4380204 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Havre De Grace
- Inventory number
- BH 52605 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 25, 2017: Photo imported by Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- November 9, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- May 25, 2015: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- March 10, 2015: HAER photos posted by Nathan Holth
- December 14, 2014: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Updated details and dates
- November 20, 2014: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Added/corrected details
- September 25, 2012: Updated by Jann Mayer: Added description and photos
- June 2, 2012: Added by Rachel Lipton