Historic American Buildings Survey A. S. Burns, Photographer Dec. 1933 Bridge Over Casselman River
Photo taken by Historic American Buildings Survey
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #137331
Bridge construction began in late 1813 and proceeded through the summer of 1814 despite several delays due to increased rains. On November 16, 1814, workers successfully turned "the largest and we think the most permanent stone arch in the United States." Shortly thereafter, William Aull received a contract for filling the bridge with rubble stone. By 1815, the fill had been deposited and settled sufficiently to allow the first wheeled vehicles across the bridge. Little Crossings Bridge remained in use until the end of the 19th century when it fell into a state of disrepair. After being fully restored in 1911 for automobile and truck traffic, it continued in service until 1933 when a steel truss bridge was erected nearby for newly-aligned U.S. 40. In its 118 years of service, countless freight and passenger vehicles, pedestrians, and livestock crossed Little Crossings Bridge on America's first federally-funded and built highway. In recognition of its outstanding contributions to our nation's heritage, Little Crossings Bridge was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1963. It is owned by the State of Maryland and preserved as part of the Casselman Bridge State Park.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Stone arch bridge over Casselman River on Old US 40, east of Grantsville
- Garrett County, Maryland
- Closed To All But Pedestrians in Casselman River Bridge State Park
- Future prospects
- Repairs intended, but with no timetable for when they are to occur.
- Built 1813 by David Shriver, Jr.
- - David Shriver, Jr.
- Stone arch
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.69674, -79.14366 (decimal degrees)
39°41'48" N, 79°08'37" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/659017/4396071 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 66000391 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 42364 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 28, 2016: New photos from Steve Conro
- January 15, 2015: Photo imported by Dave King
- November 6, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- March 6, 2012: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now closed to traffic.
- July 27, 2010: New photos from Daniel Hopkins
- April 19, 2009: Posted HABS photos