Rating:
2 votes

MMID - Little Pipe Creek Trestle

Photos 

View from MD 194, just south of Little Pipe Creek

Photo taken by Jodi Christman 11/05/11

Enlarge

BH Photo #219724

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Currently operated by Maryland Midland Railway, this line was formerly a Pennsylvania Railroad branch. I am guessing the length to be 700 ft. based on Google Maps. It is quite long.

Facts 

Overview
Deck plate girder bridge over Little Pipe Creek and Keymar Road on MMID (former PRR)
Location
Frederick County, Maryland, and Carroll County, Maryland
Railroads
- Maryland Midland Railway (MMID)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
Design
Deck plate girder
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.58995, -77.24077   (decimal degrees)
39°35'24" N, 77°14'27" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/307579/4384645 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Union Bridge
Inventory number
BH 50046 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • November 6, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
  • November 6, 2011: Added by Jodi Christman

Sources 

  • Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
  • J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com

Comments 

Little Pipe Creek Trestle
Posted March 22, 2014, by Mike OConnor (bridge [at] riskengineering [dot] org)

See wiki article .."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Pipe_Creek_bridge_and_viaduct"

The Little Pipe Creek bridge and viaduct is a 705-foot (215 m) continuous truss bridge with main span and 19 viaduct sections as well as an active railroad trestle south of Keymar, Maryland. Originally constructed by the Frederick and Pennsylvania Line Railroad Company (F&PL). Construction on the trestle began in late 1871, and continued until April 1872. It was rebuilt by the Pennsylvania railroad in 1896 as an open deck riveted iron plate under girder bridge and then again in 1902-1903 using steel in the bridge and trestling. In 1915, the bridge was surveyed as part of the Interstate Commerce Commission's effort to establish freight rates for the Parent railroad. The United States Railroad Administration rebuilt the creek span in the 1917 period. Additional work rebuilding the bridge and trestling was performed in the 1982-1989 period by the Maryland State Railroad Administration. In 1991, the bridge was surveyed as part of the Maryland Historic Sites Inventory.

As of 2013, the bridge is in active rail service, operated by the Maryland Midland railroad.