Jericho Covered Bridge 20-03-01 / 20-12-01
Photo taken by Rachel Lipton in January 2013
BH Photo #247173
After several months of painstaking restoration work, the 150-year-old Jericho Covered Bridge will be carefully rolled back into place beginning [October 30, 2015].
The bridge, which carries Jericho Road over the Little Gunpowder Falls on the Baltimore County-Harford County line, has been undergoing a $1.8 million restoration.
Contractors, including a company that specializes in covered bridges, lifted the top part of the bridge off of the roadbed using a system of wooden beams and rollers to slide the 90-foot-long structure onto land. Repairs were made to the bridge's arches and trusses. The bridge decking was replaced and the steel support beams underneath were cleaned and repainted.
It's expected to take at least three days to roll the bridge back into place.
The bridge was built in 1865 to connect the mill towns of Franklinville and Jerusalem Mill. It's one of only a half dozen covered bridges still standing in Maryland. Only three, including Jericho, still handle traffic. About 500 cars cross the one-lane bridge each day.
Most of the funding for the bridge restoration is coming from the federal government, which has a grant program for historic covered bridges. Baltimore County and Harford County each contributed 10 percent of the cost.
- Burr arch-truss bridge over Little Gunpowder Falls on Jericho Road
- Baltimore County, Maryland, and Harford County, Maryland
- Open to traffic
- built 1865, queenpost added 1937, stringers added 1982, heavily renovated 2015
- - Thomas Forsyth
- Burr Arch
Length of largest span: 86.0 ft.
Total length: 92.9 ft.
Deck width: 13.1 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 13, 1978
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.46000, -76.38667 (decimal degrees)
39°27'36" N, 76°23'12" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/380705/4368742 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- White Marsh
- Average daily traffic (as of 2013)
- Inventory number
- BH 47787 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2018)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 53.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 1, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- April 22, 2016: Updated by Will Truax: Added builders name
- April 13, 2016: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Reopened after rehab
- October 29, 2015: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Article on restoration rehabilitation added
- August 30, 2015: Updated by Will Truax: Made multiple corrections including street name
- May 26, 2015: Updated by Will Truax: Updated temporary status
- July 28, 2014: New Street View added by Ralph Demars
- July 28, 2014: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Added planned closure and rehabilitation 2014-2015; road reportedly renamed to Franklinville Road
- April 8, 2014: HAER photos posted by Dave King
- January 21, 2013: New photo from Rachel Lipton
- January 21, 2011: Added by J.P.
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Rachel Lipton
- HABS MD-12 - Covered Bridge, Jericho Road spanning Little Gunpowder Falls, Jerusalem, Baltimore County, MD
- Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- Will Truax - Bridgewright [at] gmail [dot] com
- Geoff Hubbs