Shallow Creek Bridge Street Car Map
License: Released into public domain
BH Photo #469904
Built as part of the Bay Shore Park in 1906, this line served to transit cars around the bend near Fort Howard to and from the Bay Shore Park itself, the station of which still stands to this day. The Bridge was notable as one of only two primary land entrances into the park, the gimmick being that entry to the park was easier by Street Car or Ferry than attempting to travel the road. This bridge was part of a series of three bridges in the area that allowed for smooth service into the Bay Shore Park.
For whatever reason, the bridge ceased operation in 1944 and was torn down, possibly due to several strong tropical storms and hurricanes in that year and the preceding years. The extension from Fort Howard to where the bridge had stood was declared abandoned. By 1947 Bethlehem Steel bought the Bay Shore Park with no plans to rebuild this bridge and the entire system was left to decay in and around Bay Shore Park, although the other two bridges on the line were maintained for some time until all street car service ceased in the 1960s.
Like most of the Bay Shore Park, this bridge was designed to show off the Electric Street Car to travelers from Baltimore and abroad.