Hanover Street Bascule Bridge
Hanover Street Bridge
Hanover Street Bridge, looking northwest from water southeast of bridge June 16, 2012
Photo taken by Shawn Seidel, used with permission
BH Photo #233445
Baltimore’s Department of Transportation has selected AECOM of Los Angeles, a firm with extensive bridge design expertise, to be the lead consultant for a $1.8 million study to help determine how much longer the bridge can serve as a southern gateway to downtown Baltimore.
The Federal Highway Administration has agreed to allocate $1.1 million toward the cost of the study and the city will pay $700,000.
The cost of a replacement bridge has been estimated at $100 million to $150 million, while repairs could be considerably less.
Officially part of Maryland Route 2, the Hanover Street Bridge replaced Richard Cromwell’s mile-long “Long Bridge” built in 1856 to transport farm products from Anne Arundel County to Baltimore.
For many years, commuters have complained about poor driving conditions on the bridge, from uneven surfaces to potholes to spalling concrete. The city typically spends more than $500,000 a year for maintenance.
- Bascule bridge over Middle Branch of Patapsco River on Hanover Street in Baltimore
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Under study for repair or replacement: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-...
- Built 1916; rehabilitated 1971 and 1992
- - J. E. Greiner Co. of Baltimore, Maryland & Chicago, Illinois
- Strobel Steel Construction Co. of Chicago, Illinois
- Theodor Rall of Chicago, Illinois
- - United Railways & Electric Co. (UR&E)
- Deck truss double-leaf Rall bascule bridge with concrete cantilever open spandrel deck arch approach spans.
Length of largest span: 229.0 ft.
Total length: 2,023.1 ft. (0.4 mi.)
Deck width: 60.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.25810, -76.61611 (decimal degrees)
39°15'29" N, 76°36'58" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/360564/4346663 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Baltimore East
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory number
- BH 19574 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of March 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 51.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 6, 2019: Photo imported by Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- November 5, 2017: Photo imported by Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- December 6, 2016: New photo from Royce and Bobette Haley
- September 17, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- July 3, 2016: New photo from Pat Gavin
- February 22, 2016: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Additional details on history and replacement study added
- February 10, 2016: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Under study for repair or replacement
- December 18, 2014: New photo from Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- November 27, 2014: New photo from Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- October 5, 2014: New photo from Douglas Butler
- July 15, 2012: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Recommend consolidation with duplicate listing for this bridge
- June 17, 2012: New photo from Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- February 13, 2012: Updated by Clark Vance: Location on map and street view
- February 10, 2012: Added by Charles Flaherty
- January 10, 2012: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added design details.
- August 3, 2011: New Street View added by Nathan Holth