The Western Maryland Railroad steel truss bridge crosses over the National Road (US 40) in the Narrows near Cumberland, MD. Cumberland Narrows is a scenic gorge where Wills Creek carved 1000 feet deep into Wills Mountain. The pass facilitated commerce and travel. The bridge was constructed around 1910. It consists of two spans, each 150 feet in length. The bridge shares service with the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad and the Great Allegheny Passage--a multi-use rail trail, suitable also for biking and walking.
The WMRR company started in the early 1850s as an agricultural railroad in central Maryland. In 1852 it incorporated as Baltimore, Carroll & Frederick Railroad. The following year it changed its name to Western Maryland Railroad. The railroad reorganized as Western Maryland Railway in 1909. In 1983 it merged with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. In 1987 it was acquired by CSX Transportation.