Oblique View of Bridge Looking South
Photo taken by Rick Mattioni, June 2000
BH Photo #125647
From Maryland's State highway website on BLUE BRIDGE 1954, CUMBERLAND, ALLEGANY COUNTY: http://www.sha.maryland.gov/Index.aspx?PageId=257
"An unmistakable Cumberland landmark, the Blue Bridge carries Johnson Street (MD 942) over the North Branch of the Potomac River. This 315-foot-long, double-span bridge is one of the state’s few steel tied-arch designs. A tied-arch bridge works much like a bow (as in a bow and arrow) turned on its side. Just as a bow forms an arch because it is tied together by a string, the arch of this bridge curves and is tied into place by long steel eyebars. The road hangs from the arch by metal suspenders. The spikes, here known as anticlimb shields, share the same purpose as those on the metal-arch Baltimore City bridges: to keep off would-be climbers. In the 1950s blue was a widely available paint color and a popular choice for bridges."
A plaque on the bridge names it "Washington's Crossing Bridge" with a build date of 1955 by the Corps of Engineers.
- Steel through arch bridge over North Branch Potomac River on MD 942 between Cumberland, Md. and Ridgeley, W.Va.
- Cumberland, Allegany County, Maryland, and Mineral County, West Virginia
- Open to traffic
- Built 1954; rehabilitated 1996
- Steel through tied arch
Length of largest span: 158.1 ft.
Total length: 317.9 ft.
Deck width: 27.9 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 18.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- George Washington's Crossing
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.64870, -78.76581 (decimal degrees)
39°38'55" N, 78°45'57" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/691692/4391152 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 19526 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 12/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 57.1 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- August 27, 2016: New photos from Steve Conro
- December 17, 2013: Updated by Roger Deschner: Added category "Painted blue"
- June 26, 2013: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description and corrected build date
- August 14, 2010: New Street View added by James Baughn
- October 8, 2008: New photo from Rick Mattioni